26 January 2007

Arrival in India, Mumbai

I left Johannesburg just before noon, and arrived in Mumbai just after midnight, after an 8,5 hour flight on SAA (and a 3,5 hour timezone change). I now have 1 day to do some sight seeing before I go to the Purple Valley Yoga retreat in Goa and start the Yoga.

The first order of the day was to get some Indian Rupees (INR). The exchange rate is 43.4 rupees to a USD, which works out to about INR 5,80 for one ZAR. I got a bit of a fright when the cashier pointed out to me that my new SA passport does not contain my signature so he needed something else to verify my signature... Good thing I took my credit card with!!!

Because I had booked my SAA flight using voyager miles, I was not able to book any connecting flights. Air India does not fly to Goa, Jet Airways does not sell tickets via its website to the general public, and Indian Airlines does not accept international credit cards, so I have been trying to find an open Airline office to book my flight. After walking the International terminal flat, I could not find an office that was either open or that would sell me a ticket.
I then found a bookstore and finally armed myself with an invaluable lonely planet travel guide (I had not had enough time to buy one back home). I sat down and started looking up accomodation options and how to get there best.
I also became aware that today was a public holiday in India, celebrating India's independance from Britain since 1950. I also found out that South Africa is not the only country with over 10 languages recognised in its constitution. India has 23.

Six am I finally decided I better move so miss rush hour. It was still dark (only starts getting light around 7am). I could have taken a taxi for almost INR 400, which would have been fine if I was not travelling alone. But since I prefer to do it like the locals do whenever I travel (and also keep it cheap), I decided to take a rickshaw to the train station and catch a train to town. I had to haggle with the rickshaw drivers and when I still got no joy (The rate in the guide suggested 25 rupees and they wanted to charge me 150), I finally sought the help of a police officer. I landed up paying 50, which I was happy with.
At the train station, I could either get an ordinary ticket for 8 rupees or first class for 78. Since 2nd class is extremely overcrowded and I was carrying all my luggage, 1st class was fine. In town I looked at 2 hotels found in my guide under budget accomodation and the prices for rooms ranged from 700 rupees to 1200 rupees. Again, travelling with company is cheaper because these are always double rooms and there are no single rooms. While walking the streets I met an australian girl who told me she was staying at The Salvation Army for 150 rupees including breakfast (dormitory rooms with bunk beds). This was great and that is where I am staying. As always in a place like this, it is very friendly and hospitable. My room has no glass where the windows are but hey... its hot!!!

Travelling by rickshaw through the dirty streets of Mumbai... yes, the pungent smells, the noise, the queues... I know I am back in India... but I think I will enjoy this time a lot more than last time. I was in India in 1996 for 6 weeks, during which time I travelled further north in Rajastan, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh and then went on to Nepal. I remember that this was the country in which I had the worst culture shock out of all the countries I have travelled so far.
This time I am more prepared, and hopefully also more patient and more tolerant :-)

Businesses here only open around 10 am and after having a 2 hour power nap, I found a very helpful travel agent just around the corner, whom I booked my flight to Goa with for tomorrow. So now the rest of the day can be dedicated to looking at the sights. I am in the Colaba district, which is the far south of Mumbai. My "hotel" is very central which is great.

1 comment:

Yzerfontein said...

Flight from Johannesburg to Mumbai - you're certainly going from interesting place to interesting place!